Source of Small Caltrops
Biological Name : Tribulus terrestris
Family : Zygophyllaceae
Synonyms of Small Caltrops:
- Hindi – Chota-gokhru
- Sanskrit – Laghu Gokshura
- English – Small caltrops
- Bengali – Gokhuri mool
- Gujarati – Betha gokhara mool
- Marathi – Sategokhru mool
- Tamil – Nerunje vera
- Kannada – Neggillumullu
The trade name of the tribulus is gokharumool. Tribulus is a prostrate spreading herb and is densely covered with minute hair. Flowers are pale yellow in colour. Fruits are characteristic and is easily identified by numerous spines on it. These fruits often cling to clothes, bodies of animals and wheels of vehicles. It is grown throughout the India. The useful parts of the plant are fruits, root and whole plant.
Properties of Small Caltrops:
- Demulcent (substance which protects the mucous membrane and allays irritations)
Phytochemicals present in Small Caltrops:
The phytochemicals which are present in the caltrops are alkaloids, aromatic substances, unsaturated acids, essential oils, large amount of nitrates (diuretic action), harmon and harmin.
Forms of use: It is used in the form of infusion, powder and decoction.
Medicinal uses and Health Benefits of Small Caltrops:
- Plant and dried spiny fruits are used in decoction or infusion in all the diseases of genito-urinary system such as
- Dysuria (difficulty in passing urine)
- Inflammation of the bladder
- Chronic cystitis (infection)
- Calculous and grovel affections (formation of small stones in the kidney)
- Urinary disorders
- Kidney diseases
- Suppression of urine
- The action of the drug on the mucous membrane of the urinary tract has confirmed the diuretic properties.
- Decoction of the fruits when mixed with carbonate of potash is given in painful micturition passing of urine.
- The fruits are useful for sexual weakness.
- The infusion of fruits is useful for treating gout.
- The drug is also used for cough.
- It is used in heart problems.