Drumstick is a perennial quick growing plant in South India. Each and every part of the plant is having medicinal importance.
Let us find out the amazing facts and Health Benefits of Drumsticks:
- All parts of the drumstick have medicinal value. The small and round leaves of drumsticks are extremely useful in treating many ailments because of its rich iron content and medicinal properties.
- The moringa leaves may be eaten raw or cooked. The leaves can also be stored as a dry powder for several months without refrigeration.
- The drumstick powder serves as a life saving powder in case of imminent starvation.
- The drumstick leaves are rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron and Potassium. It is also a good source of proteins.
- It acts as a wonderful tonic for growing children and teens. It promotes the growth of bones and makes them strong and healthy. The tonic can be prepared by grinding the leaves with water, filter it and add it to milk. This tonic purifies the blood.
- The juice of the drumstick leaves is useful for the pregnant women to overcome the sluggishness of the uterus, for ease of delivery and to reduce post delivery complications.
- The leaves are boiled in salt and water and the water is drained. The leaves are served with ghee to lactating mothers to increase the breast milk.
- The leaves are also useful in treating wheezing, bronchitis, asthma and tuberculosis. For this treatment, a soup is prepared by boiling a handful of leaves in 3/4 cup of water for five minutes. A pinch of salt, pepper and lime juice also may be added (in case you require). After it gets cooled down, it can be served for those respiratory problems.
- The drumstick has antibacterial properties and thus helps in preventing infections of chest, throat and skin.
- The drumstick soup can be prepared by using leaves, flowers and pods to serve as an antibiotic.
- The dried and powdered bark of the roots can be used to treat fungal skin infections.
- The leaves, flowers and seeds of drumstick is useful for sexual debility and weakness.
- Add a teaspoonful of drumstick leaf juice with honey and a glass of coconut water.If this juice is taken 2 or 3 times daily, acts as an effective remedy for digestive disorders like diarrhea, dysentary, colitis, jaundice, and cholera. It also helps in treating urinary disorders like excessive urination.
- Drumstick seed oil is effective in treating conjunctivitis.
- Freshly prepared drumstick leaf juice along with lime juice can be applied on pimples, black heads and acne.