Discover the amazing Beetroot health benefits, check out beetroot nutrition facts and know the benefits of drinking beetroot juice in this superfood article. Whether beetroot is a superfood or not is still debatable but it is a fact that the beetroot health benefits are many.
Beetroot is one of the many Beta Vulgaris plants of the Amaranthaceae family. It was originally cultivated by Romans just like most vegetables that we eat today. There are many varieties of this plant and some of them are known as sugar beet which is used producing table sugar. However, the most popular variety is garden beet or simply beetroot that is used as vegetable or salad. This simple root plant is full of medicinal properties and health benefits that a majority of users are unaware of. Lets take a look at some of amazing beetroot health benefits along with some other Beetroot nutrition facts .
Some Beetroot Health Facts
The plant or the leafy stem of beetroot grows to a maximum height of 1-2 meters. The leaves are heart shaped and almost 5-20 cm long in many varieties. The root itself is deep red- purple in color. There are other varieties in different color like white and yellow. White beetroot is used for producing sugar whereas red beet is used for vegetable. There is another variety known as leaf beat or chard which has a long history of being used as medicinal plant. This variety is still used and cooked liked spinach in various parts of the world. However, due to introduction of spinach, its popularity has declined.
Beetroot Nutrition Facts
It is low calorie food with almost zero cholesterol and very small amount fat. It contains a phytochemical compound known as glycine betaine which works wonders for overall cardio vascular health. Beetfoot is a rich source of B Complex Vitamins, folate and minerals such as iron, magnesium and potassium that are essential for many body functions.
Beetroot Health Benefits
- Its rich fiber content improves digestion and relieves constipation
- It lowers glucose levels and helps in diabetes management
- Beetroot is a natural blood pressure lowering food. It works wonders in reducing blood pressure and improving overall heart health.
- Beetroot contains Choline helps in fat absorption and reduces chronic inflammation
- It improves muscle oxygenation that results in better athletic performance
- By Romans, beetroot was considered to be an aphrodisiac. By improving blood circulation in genitals, beetroot improves sex drive and performance.
Usage of Beetroot
- Beetroot is an important ingredient of Asian and Indian food. Used in different ways, beetroot is a common vegetable in this part of the world.
- Beetroot is used as salad.
- Beetroot juice is highly recommended for hypertension patients.
- Beetroot is used as food coloring agent.
- Beetroot pickle is very popular in India.
- Beetroot is used for table sugar production (only the white variety).
- Beetroot is also used in making rum like distilled spirit.
- Agricultural surplus of sugar beet is used to produce biobutanol fuel in the UK.Approximately 6.22 kg of sugar beet is used to produce 1 kg of this fuel.
Beetroot Side Effects
Though there are no side effects of this natural herb, excess consumption may result in pink color urine or stool which is completely harmless. Also beet greens and also the root contains oxalate which may be harmful for those who have been diagnosed with oxalate-containing kidney stones. As a general rule, you cannot depend on beetroot alone for all the health benefits. It should be a part of diet not a substitute of meal either if the form of salad or vegetable. Therefore consume it in moderation and it will work like a super food.
Originally posted 2015-12-08 02:15:05.